This is the very first glycylcycline antibiotic in the world.
Please note that Tigecycline is NOT within the class of Tetracyclines (eg Tetracycline and Doxycycline).
It is used in the treatment of the following-
1. cSSTI (Complicated Skin and Soft Tissue Infections).
2. Gram negative, Gram positive, Anaerobes and resistant Gram positive and Gram negative micro-organisms.
3. Extended Spectrum Beta-Lactamases (ESBLs) producing Klebsiela pneumoniae and Escherichia coli.
4. ESKAPE pathogens which encompass the six pathogens with growing multidrug resistant virulence: Enterococcus faecium, Staphylococcus aureus, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Acinetobacter baumannii, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Enterobacter spp.
5. Diabetic foot/leg ulcers/wounds/infections
Tigecycline kills Bacteria by destroying their protein synthesis mechanism.
The additional fantastic thing about this drug is that no dose adjustment is required in elderly patients and in patients with even severe kidney and/or severe Liver failure.
The dose is 100 mg IV stat then 50 mg BID for 5 to 14 days.
Side effects - can increase Blood Urea Nitrogen (urea) and can cause pancreatitis. Therefore check amylase levels while on this drug.
Avoid Tigecycline in pregnant women.
The drug is manufactured by Pfizer, a New York City, USA based pharmaceutical company.