FEW THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT VAGINAL DISCHARGES:
1. If it does not smell bad, it is probably normal (physiological). It's natural for a woman to have some vaginal discharges. Normal discharge smells like onions.
2. If it smells pretty bad (foul discharge), then it's highly likely you have an infection and needs investigation and treatment by a qualified doctor.
3 If it itches/scratches you have an infection as well usually Thrush (Candidiasis) or Trichomoniasis (Oko junction).
4. If thrush is persistent and difficult to treat, you may have diabetes Mellitus.
5. Foreign body in the vagina such as forgotten tampon in adult females or beads in female children cause foul smelling vaginal discharge. The foreign bodies should be removed immediately or as soon as possible as the can lead to septic shock (toxic shock syndrome) and kill.
6. Bacterial vaginosis causes fishy smelling vaginal discharge. Easy to treat with flagyl.
7. Gonorrhoea which is sexually transmitted and can block the Fallopian tubes also leads to vaginal disease.
8. Finally, vaginal discharges rarely resemble their classical description. Therefore, if you have an unusual abnormal discharge, please see a qualified doctor.